After having worshipped for fifty years in the Methodist church in Knoxville, Georgia, the members living in Roberta organized a church of their own in 1899 and became part of the Knoxville Circuit
. They had grown into a congregation by conducting a community Sunday school, which was held in a dwelling house with Rev. C. W. Snow as the first pastor. In 1902, a church building was constructed on what is now Agency Street West, and in 1911 Roberta became head of the Roberta Circuit. The church plant consisted of a sanctuary, foyer, and belfry and the Sunday school classes met in different sections of the sanctuary and foyer. In 1935, the church's foyer and belfry were removed because the street on which the church stood was widened. It was decided that a new church would be built on the original site, but moved back from the road. Plans were started under Rev. W. W. Hill's leadership, but construction began under the pastorate of Rev. W. L. Anderson in 1939. Rev. W. R. Smith saw the completion of construction with a sanctuary, three Sunday school rooms and a social hall with kitchen and two restrooms. On April 14, 1941, Bishop Arthur J. Moore officiated at the dedication ceremony.
In July 1961, construction began on an educational building that would consist of eight classrooms, a large social hall, kitchen and three restrooms. Construction was completed, the debt paid off and Rev. Ross Freeman, District Superintendent of Macon, officiated at the dedication ceremony in February 1975. In January 1967, during the pastorate of Rev. W. W. Campbell, Roberta became a station church. The parsonage was built in 1923, with Rev. D. B. Merritt as pastor. Roberta UMC was named Church of the Year for the Macon District in 1972 and 1974.