This church began in 1805, as a Methodist Society which met at the home of William Hicklin. Between 1825 and 1835, the Deepstep Church in Washington County had its beginning in a building prepared by hand. The building was replaced by a frame structure after the Civil War. The church experienced a great spiritual revival from 1869 to 1899 when tents and arbors were erected where the present cemetery now stands and a camp meeting started. Preachers from all over the district attended and spent the night at the church. The present building was completed about 1900. There was also a school building on the same site.
In 1902, an organ was purchased. In 1918, the Ladies Aid was started and, in 1921, the Epworth League began
. In 1977, the church became a station church. In 1978, the parsonage was dedicated by Bishop Cannon. In 2000, the church was designated a historical site by the South Georgia Conference. In 1991, the church was Church of the Year for the Dublin District. On August 21, 2005, the church celebrated its 200th anniversary which included a viewing of the recently renovated parsonage.