At the time the railroad was completed in 1846, the post office moved to the railroad and took the name of Colonel Virgil Powers, a civil engineer of the Southwestern Railroad Company. The church, Allen Chapel Congregational Church, began as a mission of the Congregational Church of New England. By 1919, the membership was 22 males, 34 females. With a $500 loan from the Congregational Building Society of New York, the land was purchased and a whiteboard and shingle church was built. It remained a Congregational Church until 1920. The trustees decided to change to a Methodist Church. After the $500 loan was repaid on November 18, 1922, Allen Chapel Congregational became Powersville Methodist on the Byron Charge. From 1944-1981, many renovations occurred including classrooms, kitchen, and restrooms. Memorial stained glass windows were installed in 1949 and 1950. The parsonage was built in 1960. The church held a Christmas program/play in 2004 and had four youth confirmed in 2013.