Late in 1790, a Methodist society that became Union church was organized in the home of Joshua Hodges, Sr., a Revolutionary War veteran. The members set aside a tract of land west of the Hodges house and a log meeting house was constructed in 1791. The trustees at this time were Joshua Hodges, Sr., Joseph Jackson, Jarvis Jackson, Catherine Hodges, Griffin Mizell, and Samuel Williams. In November 1834, one hundred acres of land were sold by Nathaniel Hodges to the trustees of the church. The first structure built was apparently made of planks and sat off of the ground on log pillars with a steep roof and four evenly spaced windows. In 1859, the trustees sold ninety-two acres of land to Rhesa McCrone for unknown reasons. This transaction established the eight acres of church property that the church retains up to the present time.
The second church was built in 1884, under the pastorate of Rev. T. J. Nease. Much of the building materials were provided by Jim and Tim Davis, who operated a mill near Statesboro. Robert W. Stringer was the carpenter who is responsible for the hand-carved circular altar rail still used in the church today. Parts of the altar rail and some pews are from the original church structure. In 1879, the land was acquired and in 1880 a parsonage was constructed. During the 1890 Centennial Celebration, Bishop J. D. Anthony notes that no less than eight Methodist churches had been organized by leaders who were associated with Union Methodist Church.
The present church building was constructed in 1959 and stands on the exact spot of the second church. The old church was moved to one side and used as a fellowship hall and Sunday school classrooms. The church was put into use by the Rev. Anthony Hearn, District Superintendent, on May 22, 1960. The latest addition to the church is the fellowship hall, the foundation being poured on August 1, 1965. The first Sunday school was organized by Miss Flora Lord, a school teacher in the community, in 1913. The Epworth League was organized in 1942, by Rev. Ernest Seckinger. The Educational Annex, containing three Sunday school rooms, was built in 1980. The church was declared a South Georgia Historical Site in 1990 and also celebrated its Bicentennial.