Twenty-five members of the Brewton Church first organized this church in 1892, in a Masonic building where they had been having prayer meetings and Sunday school. It is the oldest congregation of any denomination in the city. The first church structure was completed in 1899, under the Rev. R. M. Booth. The first pastor was Rev. C. S. J. Strickland. In 1912, the present brick building was erected with Rev. C. T. Clark as pastor. In 1940, under the leadership of Rev. John S. Lough, an educational wing was added. The annex included several classrooms and a fellowship hall. While Rev. Aubrey
Alsobrook was the pastor in 1954, the sanctuary was redecorated, a front addition was built which included a choir room, pastor's study, and church office; Sunday school rooms were renovated and a second story was added. The first parsonage was purchased in 1920, with J. C. Edwards, E. A. Dorsey, and R. M. Girardeau as Trustees of the church. This house was sold and another purchased in 1948. In 1963, the Parker Foundation gave ten acres of land to the church containing one of the complete recreational centers in this section. Claxton became a station in 1912, with Rev. C. T. Clark as pastor. It was in the McRae District with Rev. L. A.
Hill, P. E. Sunday School was closed from October 6, 1918, to December 29, 1918, on account of the flu epidemic. The Senior Citizens of Evans County were organized and sponsored by the Claxton Methodist Church. Claxton was the Church of the Year for the Savannah District in 1961, and the Church of the Year for the Statesboro District in 1971.
The Claxton FUMC sanctuary was destroyed by fire on November 17, 1987. Members of Claxton FUMC heard their pastor Tom Mason, deliver Sunday morning's message from a makeshift pulpit in the Parker Recreation Center. The sermon was the first regularly scheduled worship outside their church sanctuary for many, many years. The sanctuary was rebuilt from 1988-1989, under the
leadership of Rev. Larry E. Bird and H. C. Hearn, Jr, who served as the chairman of the rebuilding committee. The sanctuary was reopened on August 13, 1989, with more than three hundred members and visitors.