In 1878, Rev. J.J.F. Goodman organized a church on land given by Mr. Matthews. It was named Bethesda and served as a school as well as a church. A cemetery was started adjacent to the church. Then, in 1903, when Rev. S. S. Kemp was the pastor, it was decided to move the church three miles into the village of Brookfield, the boyhood home of Bishop Arthur Moore. In the 1940s, a new church was built, with help from many people and memorial gifts, on land donated in memory of Nath Coarsey. In 1958, Brookfield, which had been on the Chula Charge for years, became head of a circuit that included Herring Memorial and Mt. Calvary. The lot next to the church was purchased from the railroad and the section house where Bishop Moore's parents had lived was bought and moved into the parsonage
. In 1969, the parsonage and all the records were burned. The parsonage was immediately rebuilt and dedicated May 16, 1971. In 1970 Mt. Calvary was placed with Trinity of Tifton and the new charge for 1970 was Brookfield, TyTy, and Oak Ridge. In 1990, the cemetery was organized with other neighboring churches into a non-profit called Lawrence Cemetery Association. In 1997 the church celebrated 50 years in its present building.