In a one-room log cabin on the farm of Mr. Alfred Breedlove, this church was organized on March 5, 1857. While the first building was being built, they worshiped in a blacksmith shop. The present brick structure was built in 1892 and, in 1908, a brick annex was added. Later, the stained-glass windows of the sanctuary were replaced with scenic windows depicting major events in the life of Christ. This church has been in several Districts: Americus, Lumpkin, Columbus, and Dawson. When Dawson was head of a district, the presiding elder had his home here and for a while after Dawson was reassigned to the Americus district.
In the 1980s, a lot adjoining the church was donated and a ramp, drive, and canopy were constructed. Extensive repairs were also made to the sanctuary, including the installation of Lexan, a protective cover for the stained glass windows, and a children's playground was constructed. During the 1990s, renovations for the Gladys Newman Women's Center were funded by the sale of a cookbook, A Standing Invitation to Gracious Southern Living
, published by the church UMW. New central heat/air conditioning, carpet, paint, and lighting were also installed in the sanctuary. In 2004, a church minibus was purchased and the sanctuary organ completely refurbished and moved to a new location on the north side of the sanctuary. In 2009 and 2010, the Gladys Newman Center was renovated, a new computer for the youth and a new office copier were purchased, replacement of the parsonage heating/cooling system and roof repairs of the church and parsonage completed. On October 3, 2010, the church celebrated 118 years of history
. In June 2014, the church was moved from the dissolved Americus District to the newly organized Northwest District.
During 2015, the church continued family night suppers, Bible study, MYF, and Yah-Yahs (Young at Hearts) along with a very successful June Bible School. Major projects included replacing the sanctuary roof with architectural shingles, repair of the steeple, and construction of a larger fenced playground for the children. In September, the church hosted a Prayer and Support Hour for our Law Enforcement and Public Officials and held Homecoming on October 4.