This church was organized in 1903, by Maggie Eason Middleton who came to the community when she married John Overstreet. Before the present building was constructed, a log cabin was used. The members gave the logs, cut the logs and built the church themselves. In 1919, Surrency Methodist Episcopal Church, South was on the Surrency Circuit in the McRae District with Rev. C. A. Morrison as pastor. It was placed in the Waycross District in 1931 when the McRae District was disbanded
. In 1963, Surrency was placed in the Statesboro District, when it was formed.