Methodism began in this thriving saw-mill community as a "mission Sunday School" in 1888. The Sunday school became an organized church in July 1889. A frame building, now in commercial use, was built in 1890-1891. By 1895, the church had grown from a mission circuit of five churches to a station church. The present building, one of the finest brick structures of its period, was erected during the pastorate of Rev. J. C. G. Brooks. Ready for services in November 1911, Rev. W. E. Towson was the first pastor to hold regular services in it. Although remodeled in 1950, the arched balcony and the wood panels of intricately carved scrolls and flowers were preserved, the stained glass windows were repaired and a larger window replaced the original rose window. The memorial chapel, planned and furnished by Dr. G. C. McKenzie, is a memorial to the soldiers who died in World War II. A bronze plaque lists their names.
In 1957, the parsonage on Lamont Street was completed. In 1965, the Methodist Men's Club was re-activated. During the 1970s, renovation of the church building was completed and a new Casavant pipe organ purchase project was started by Group No. 6 of the United Methodist Women. The organ was dedicated Easter Sunday, 1976, and the newly renovated sanctuary was consecrated on the same date.