Greater Trinity UMC was established in 1844, originating from the white Methodist Church known as St. Mary's UMC. Both black and white parishioners worshiped together until 1844. In 1856, the building was moved to another location and given to the black membership. After the Civil War, Rev. Rance reorganized Greater Trinity with eighteen members and two officers in both private homes and Orange Hall. On December 31, 1868, the officers of the church petitioned the city council to move the church to a suitable lot and, on January 10, 1870, the officers petitioned for a specific piece of land. The petition was granted to a church only, with no cemetery
. In 1873, the church was required to move due to the building of a courthouse and, in 1879, the Trustees requested and were given twenty additional feet of property on which to build a parsonage. Greater Trinity became the Mother Church of the Meth
odist Church in Kinlaw, GA in 1896, which was named Carnegie Chapel and opened on June 16, 1896.
There have been many memorable members of Greater Trinity UMC including Eddie Dixon, the church custodian in 1898, who was responsible for ringing the bell and building the fire. Bob Jones was widely known as the initiator of the parade and barbeque on New Year's Day. Matilda Harris made her greatest contribution as an outstanding teacher. She brought the first Rosenwald School to the county, became the first county supervisor, and organized the first P.T.A. in Camden County.
In 1949, Greater Trinity UMC moved from the corner of Conyers and Osborne Street to 900 Osborne Street. The structure got underway in 1950, with the administration of Rev. T.S. Collins, Bishop J.W.E. Bowens, and Rev. Henry W. Bartley. In 1972, Greater Trinity was transferred from the Coastal District of the North Georgia Conference to the Waycross District of the South Georgia Conference. The name changed at that time from Trinity Methodist Church to Greater Trinity UMC. Construction of the present sanctuary began in 1977 and it was completed on March 24, 1978. This is when the stained-glass cross was hung and lit. Consecration of the new sanctuary was held on Easter Sunday 1978, under the leadership of Rev. U.C. Dukes with Rev. Lawrence Houston, District Superintendent. The previous sanctuary was remodeled and converted into a fellowship hall in 1979. This hall was renamed and dedicated the Elmo V. Myers Fellowship Hall on October 4, 1987.
The Mary L. Alderman Circle of UMW was created in 1987 for women ages 18-35 with Sheryl Graham as President. In June 1990, Gwendolyn Thomas organized a program for the homeless and an Emergency Assistance Program. The mortgage for the sanctuary was held on June 2, 1991. With the dissolution of the St. Mary's Circuit, Greater Trinity UMC became an independent church. Rev. Eddie J. Conaway Jr. was appointed to Greater Trinity in June 2013, and Pinkney Chapel UMC was added to form the Greater Trinity/Pinkney Chapel Charge. Rev. Conaway stressed the importance of children participating in the worship experience and empowered leadership, allowing the laity to help in Sunday services in his absence.