A circuit-riding preacher named Irwin Booth came from South Carolina to the Wiregrass area of Georgia to establish churches
. One of these churches was Antioch UMC. The church was established in 1844 with Rev. Booth preaching there for nearly 50 years, until his death in 1896. Rev. Booth conducted the Sunday school meeting the week prior to his death and he is buried in the Antioch cemetery. The original church structure had a fireplace, wooden shutters, and no floors. This building was destroyed by fire and a second structure built during the 1890s. It was Allen James, a young bridegroom, who cut the pine trees, hauled them by oxen to the mill and, with the men of the community, built the church. The pews and pulpit in the current building are of a rough structure.
In the 1940s, the church closed due to declining membership but Rev. Bridges from Homerville and member Scott James were instrumental in re-opening the church. In the 1980s, Allen James' son, Scott James, was responsible for covering the church roof with new cypress boards. Antioch UMC has been featured by the Historic Rural Churches of Georgia project. The current social hall was built in 2001 with the original 1800 Head Marker found there. One of the most memorable events of the year is the annual Christmas social which uses candles and lanterns lighting the church. Refreshments are brought by many and gifts are exchanged.