Lumber City UMC - South Central


History

The date for the beginning of this church is unknown, but it is at present in its fourth building. The first building was on the Boyd Plantation, the second, a church building of sawed lumber, and the third, built in 1868, was a white painted one. Fire destroyed one of the buildings, but the pulpit furniture was saved and is in use in the present building which was completed in 1913-1914. It has twenty stained-glass windows that are complete and the history of them is still available. In 1879, this church was part of the Dublin District. In 1898, it was with McRae, in the McRae District. In 1919, still in the McRae District, it was head of a circuit that included Lumber City, Dodge and Shelton's Chapel with Rev. H.L. Pearson, the pastor. 
 
In 1963-1964, an annex, containing an assembly room, an office, kitchen and seven Sunday school rooms was built. It was dedicated by Bishop John Owen Smith in February of 1965. In 1984, the church built a larger kitchen and dining room attached to the annex. In 2009, programs included Children's Church, held each Sunday afternoon, and the church Men's Club sponsored community Senior Lunch every Thursday at the church. In 2010, Lumber City UMC became a station church.

 

Location

21 North Church Street
Lumber City GA 31549

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

735 Pierce Avenue - Macon, GA 31204

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-475-9286

Administrative Office

520 Professional Drive, Suite 1 - Macon, GA 31201

PO Box 13145 - Macon, GA 31208

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.