In 1910, this church began with six members in a home in the country outside of Macon. Rev. M. Dixon was a strong contributor to the success of this church and the building of the first church structure, a wooden frame building. In 1927, this original sanctuary was replaced with a concrete block building, under Rev. J. W. Brown's pastorate. In the early years, Smith Chapel was part of the Savannah District, but later it was moved to the Dublin District. In 1972, this church became part of the South Georgia Conference when the Coastal District of the North Georgia Conference merged with South Georgia.