Although this church was organized in 1827, no records of its early building and beginning were kept. In 1856, 2.5 acres of land was given for a new church and a wooden building was erected. In 1924, fire destroyed this building and for several years services were held in the school building. Since the school building had been given to the church, it was torn down and the material used to build the present building. This occurred in 1935 during the pastorate of Rev. Roy L. Gardner. Bethesda has been on the Girard Charge since at least 1919, when records for individual churches were first recorded in the Annual Conference minutes.