Covid-19 Update from the Bishop & Cabinet: Watching carefully the rise in COVID infection rates

Springhead UMC (Kirkland-Springhead Charge) - South Central


History

Located six miles south of Willacoochee, Springhead UMC was formerly the Pafford Church. In the 1840s, a protracted meeting was conducted by Rev. Johnson under a brush arbor near a perpetual spring that flowed into the head of Meetinghouse Bay. As a result, a log church was built by neighbors, including Rowan Pafford, Simpson Meeks, Tom Newburn, Jessie Mainor, Johnathan S. Nickens, Sim B. Parker, Joe Roberts, and Elias and John Moore. They named this church Pafford Church. In 1859, it was dedicated as a place of worship in a service conducted by Rev. John Henderson. This log structure was replaced with the present structure in 1870, and in 1874 it was renamed Springhead. 
 
In 1959, Springhead was on the Willacoochee/Beulah Charge with services on the 5th Sunday conducted by Rev. Julian Tucker. That year, one of the last two members died and the other moved her membership to Willacoochee. Spring MC was disbanded but the descendants of Rowan Pafford continued to maintain the church and cemetery. Fifth Sunday services were still conducted by a lay speaker, Hymrick Meeks, Rev. Clark Pafford and others.
 
In 1989, interest and discussion came about regarding reconstituting Springhead. A meeting was held with Rev. Tom Johnson Sr., Waycross District Superintendent, and Bishop Richard Looney and his cabinet approved the request. The church was reconstituted on September 16, 1989, with services conducted by Rev. Tom Johnson, Sr. and was assigned to the Kirkland/Springhead Charge with Rev. Ben E. Pitts as pastor. Renovation of the church began with the installation of lights, pews, carpet, storm windows, air conditioning, heat, and vinyl siding. A social hall was built and dedicated on December 4, 1994, with Bishop Richard Looney officiating.
 
The highlights of Springhead’s year are the Blessing at the Spring Worship held the third Sunday in October and the Christmas Candle Light Service held the second Saturday in December. Springhead supports three missionaries including Dr. Mark Zimmerman and his family in Nepal, Rev. Ryder Lewis and his family in Thailand, and Rev. Joey Barrs and his family in Belize. Springhead UMC also supports the Methodist Children's Home, Vashti, Wesley Glen, and Magnolia Manor. The members of Springhead UMC are currently discussing the construction of an addition to the Social Hall for Sunday school room.

 

Location

170 Church Lane
Willacoochee GA 31650

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Administrative Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.