Bethel UMC is on the site of the Alligator Creek Church and was organized before 1872, in a log building. The present building was erected using lumber from a sawmill in Kings Ferry, Florida. The lumber was brought up the St. Mary's River to Trader’s Hill and hauled to the present site by ox team. The sills were put together with wooden pegs and are still in use. For a period of time, it also served as the school during the week. Central heat and air conditioning have been installed, a ramp for the handicapped was built and a well was dug for water. In April 1999, a sign for the church was erected with the help of M. Ferris Gowen honoring Mrs. Jessie Mae Thomas. The Sunrise Service on Easter morning is held outside and is very well attended. A large breakfast is then served inside the church to celebrate the Holy day. Bethel Cemetery is adjacent to the church. Bethel UMC has belonged to the Traders Hill Circuit, Brunswick Circuit, and the Folkston Circuit.