In 1870, this church was organized with 12 members. The first building, of logs, was located near Chesser Island on the edge of the Okefenokee Swamp. This building was moved to the present site but was destroyed by fire in 1896
. When it was rebuilt, the rafters and windows came from a church in Folkston destroyed in a hurricane. Rev. Emory Frank Dean served as pastor at least four different times, beginning in 1875, and was responsible for most of the renovation. In 1918 a steeple was added to the church. Up until 1939, this church was part of a small conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Georgia and Florida. While in that conference it was in the St. Mary's River Circuit. In 1940, it became a member of the South Georgia Conference. Classrooms were added as well as electricity in 1946. In 1959, the sanctuary was enlarged with new pews added. More classrooms were added then too. The parsonage for the Folkston Circuit was built beside this church in 1954. In 1997-1998, central heat/air and a handicapped ramp were installed.