This church was located on this site in 1856, after having been built at the location of Bickley Chapel in the 1830s. A storm had destroyed the building, and a new location was chosen. The name Providence was chosen for God's provision for his people. This is the original building with the ceiling boards hand planed by Alexander K. Stewart, and the benches in use are the original hand-made ones. The land was a gift in 1856, of David and Elizabeth Lang. The first record of a pastor is Rev. N. D. Morehouse in 1867. An interesting note is that at one time the church was painted red.