Friendship United Methodist Church began in March of 1958, as a mission outreach of the First Methodist Church in Cairo. For nine months, Sunday school and prayer meetings were held in a large brown tent. During those months, the church founders and leaders were James S. Rineer, George Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Collins, and members of their families.
By December of 1958, worshippers had moved into a new concrete block building, which contained a small sanctuary and four classrooms. During a revival, led by Rev. James E. Varnell of Cairo First, Friendship was formally organized on May 1, 1959, with twenty-seven charter members.
Friendship Church became the fifth member of the Cairo Circuit and the Reverend James Odum was appointed as the first pastor. By the mid-1960s, the church saw the addition of a larger sanctuary, a kitchen, and a pastor's study. For over ten years, Friendship operated a successful daycare center, enrolling forty children. The church began with the goal of reaching families, especially children, in the surrounding neighborhoods.
Since 2003, Friendship has supported Hispanic ministries in the community but worship services have not been held for several years. The few remaining members attend Woodland UMC and the building is now leased to an active and thriving Hispanic congregation.
Members who have entered the ministry or mission field are Leland Collins, W. Anthony Collins, and Mary Rineer Sheehan.