The church was organized in 1863 in the home of Robert B. McCord, and the building was erected in 1867. The church was named for the founder's home church in Walton County. In 1888, Bold Springs had more than 800 members and three churches were organized out of its membership: Ochlochnee, Pierce Chapel, and Woodland.
Since 1984 the church has added carpet, wooden blinds, central heat/air, and started a "7-Minute Sunday School". In 2010 it was designated a "Historic Site" by the Colonial Dames 17th Century National Society and a bronze plaque was installed on the church grounds.