This church's roots go back close to 100 years when a group of people, including Mr. and Mrs. James W. Flanders, organized a church known as Refuge. In 1902, on land given by Mr. Davis, a new church was built and the name changed to Benevolence. In 1915, the Annual Conference minutes give Chauncey and Benevolence as a charge in the McRae District with Rev. B. F. West as pastor. In 1960, Benevolence was moved to the Rhine-Chauncey Charge. In 1983, the ceiling was lowered and the outside painted.