The church was organized in 1840 and built a church one mile from the present site on what is known as Bald Hill. It was called Bald Hill for many years. The charter members were James F. McKemie, J. M. Sanders, Robert T. Green, William Olliff, William M. Credille, Samuel C. Jones, Alexander Renfroe, Etheldred Ingram, and Charles S. Zuber. During its early years, the church was not a part of any circuit
but was served by local preachers. In 1852, five acres of land were given by Simeon Tyner and the deed was recorded on July 4, 1872. The trustees were Robert T. Green, James McKemie, and William H. Olliff. A new church was built on this site and the name changed to Wesley Chapel. It was placed on the Springvale Circuit in 1867 and remained there until 1872
. In 1872, it became a part of the Fort Gaines circuit.
In 1885, a second building was constructed on the present location. The pulpit and altar were made of native walnut, sawed and dressed by Mr. Saunders. The pulpit is still in use today. A camp meeting was organized by M. B. Ferrell in 1897, and it was known as Tyner Springs Camp in honor of the Tyner family who gave the land. A tabernacle was built and services held until 1913. In 1908, Wesley Chapel was assigned to the Edison Charge until 1930. In 1926, under the pastorate of Rev. Marvin Vincent, plans were made for the present brick sanctuary. It was completed the following year under the leadership of Rev. L. E. Brady.
During the one hundred years of ministry, Wesley Chapel has been a part of Americus, Thomasville and Columbus Districts. During the 1950s, the church was renovated and the outside brick was painted white. A new recreational building was added to the church.