With the removal of the Methodist Church from the campground at Bethany to its present site in Wadley, the one-room school building known as the Calhoun School was used for worship services, held once a month. Revivals were held in the summer and brush arbors were used when the school building became too crowded. In 1917-1918, during Rev. J. A. Roundtree's pastorate at nearby Wadley, a church building was constructed in the Deepdeen Community. It was built with the materials and labor of the members including J. H. Hines, W. A. Arrington, R. R. Calhoun, Dan McNeely, "Doc" Wise, the Moore Family, and the Rheney family. The new building was called St. John's Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Half an acre of land was also deeded from E. T. Wise to the trustees, J. H. Hines, G. W. Moore, and Layton Moore.
The Deepdeen Civic Club has meant much to the church and made many improvements on church building and grounds including planting trees, shrubs, and flowers. They had a "Lord's Acre" and contributed to the church, the needy, and sick. St. John's became a part of the Coleman Charge in 1955, and the church added two Sunday school classrooms under Rev. Jim Spooner and Rev. Felton Harden. During the ministry of Rev. Roscoe Hutchins, it was named Charge of the Year. A kitchen and bathrooms were completed, and in 1982 the charge name was changed to Coleman Chapel and St. John's Charge. A new roof, vinyl siding, and stained glass windows were completed under Rev. Aubrey Bishop's pastorate.
In 1992, the kitchen was updated and a social hall added. In 2004, two new bathrooms and a storage room were completed. A new porch was constructed on the social hall and a new roof installed in 2006. The ladies of the church formed Sisters in Christ in 2004, under the leadership of Delores Bauguss, which helped the needy and made small improvements to the church and grounds. They have held bake sales, published a cookbook, held yard sales, and a Boston Butt Sale was organized to raise funds for their outreach. More land was purchased from Faye and Johnny Stavely and the Cephus Cowart family donated two acres of land for the St. John's Community Memorial Gardens Cemetery. In 2010-2011, a three hundred square foot metal building was purchased and is being used as a social hall. The youth group called the Harvesters, and the choir, under the direction of Chryle Moore, are very active with this church.