The deed to the land on which to build this church is dated June 30, 1830, so the organization of this church was near this date. The first building was made of logs. In June 1856, a new building was erected for $1,600. In 1945, the need for more space activated a building program that included a basement, classrooms, kitchen and social hall. Colored glass windows, carpeting, heating and cooling systems have also been added. In 1919, the Girard circuit had the first listing for the churches on circuits. Bethel, Bethany, Bethesda, and Girard were on the same charge for more than three-quarters of a century. In 1919, Rev. H. J. Graves was the pastor and Rev. Osgood F. Cook was the Presiding Elder of the Savannah District.