This church began from Maple Spring Church. There was a school house where Piney Mount Church was built. Sam Whitfield gave the land in Johnson County for the church in 1884. This was a frame building with home-made pews. In the late 1920s, timber from the church property was sold to make money for repairs to the building. In 1953, a new church was built. The building is brick and consists of a sanctuary, fellowship hall, and three classrooms. In 1918, E. R. Cowart and Pompeii Flanders were assigned to the Wrightsville Circuit and Mission: Piney Mount, Maple Springs, Bethel, Arline, Wesley Chapel and Red Hill.