The Springhead UMC was organized in 1868 in Oak Grove Church by Rev. Spillman and Brother Thomas Wright, Brother Mingo Wright, Brother Isaac Benton, Sister Matilda Wright, Sister Harriet Clemons, and Sister Hannah Robbins. Three trustees, Brother Thomas Wright, Brother Mingo Wright and Brother Charlie Grant, were appointed. They met one Sunday a month in the Oak Grove Church, but this did not last long. After leaving Oak Grove Church, they met on the side of the Louisville Road with women sitting on logs and men sitting on the fence. Mrs. Polly Thompson let the members meet in an old house during the inclement months. The trustees were given four acres of land by Mr. Warner for a church and cemetery. The members met in a brush arbor on the property until a cabin was built with a chimney of clay and sticks. During Rev. Walter Hunter's pastorate, a better church was built and the pastor taught the members how to read and write in the new sanctuary.
Great turmoil ensued and, eventually, the congregation moved during the early part of the 1900s. In 1978-1979, Rev. Joseph Roberson became the pastor and helped to build a new sanctuary. The new church was completed in 1981. Bishop James Swanson was appointed to this church while still a minister.