This church was founded about 1880. Some of the first members were Mrs. Rebecca English, Mr. J. T. English, and Mr. Rooks Logue. Mr. Logue was the first Sunday school superintendent. At first, this congregation worshipped in the courthouse in Gibson. The Bethel Church, which had been built by Mrs. Rebecca English, had closed about 1861, and the timbers from this church were brought to town and used to build the Gibson Church. The deed for this church is dated December 26, 1887. In 1954, with the money received from the sale of the E. P. Kent estate, the church was remodeled. The outside was bricked and Sunday school rooms added.
In 1903, Gibson appears in the Minutes of the Conference with Rev. J. N. Peacock assigned as pastor for the next year. Since 1940, Gibson has been on the charge with Mitchell, Warthen, and Pine Hill. Rev. E. R. Coward was the pastor in 1940, and Rev. Curtis Drake in 1968.
Recently, stained-glass windows have been installed, vinyl was used to cover wood, the interior was painted, Sunday school rooms have been enlarged, the bathroom was remodeled, a sound system and bell carillon were installed and a ramp at the side entrance was constructed in the church building
. In the fellowship hall, vinyl siding was installed, a metal roof was added, wood floors were redone, new kitchen cabinets added, bathroom remodeled, baseboard heaters installed, emergency lighting added, and a side ramp was constructed. Teachers have been reduced from three to one. Dale Price and Judy Deal took over the Sunday school superintendent job from Earl Porter and Judy Deal replaced Frankie Porter as treasurer. Over the years, Gibson church has lent the use of the fellowship hall to Magnolia Baptist church for services (when their church was damaged by a tornado), for FFA for social needs, for gospel singers to raise funds, and to honor local law enforcement and firemen.