Seventy-seven years after John Wesley preached his first sermon in Savannah and ten years after Milledgeville was founded, a little church was born in Baldwin County. There is no record of the names of those who founded the church that was to be called Bethel. According to James D. Myrick in the church register in 1907, the church was erected in 1813, with the present building completed in July, 1853. A deed recorded by the Clerk of Court in Milledgeville on May 28, 1883, tells of the gift of land by Samuel H. Hughes in 1872, for the purpose of building the church. The regular church services were held every third Sunday with dinner on the ground being served after the service. An article in the August 25, 1884, August Chronicle marked the christening of a new organ. First served by ministers from Milledgeville and from the Putman County circuit, Bethel Church was placed in the Baldwin Circuit, formed in 1867, with the Rev. J. V. M. Morris serving as the first pastor in 1868-1869.
Within the past few years, extensive repairs have been made to the old building with new paint inside and out, the adding of electric lights and gas heating and venetian blinds. Two Sunday School classrooms have been built and the grounds have been landscaped.