The first recorded membership of this church was in 1881, with Rev. Bascomb Anthony as pastor. At that time, the place of worship was located in a nearby location and it was not called Bethel Methodist Church. Services were held in a one-room schoolhouse until a new church could be built. It was at this time that the church began using the name, Bethel. The church then had stained glass windows, an organ, and a steeple with a bell to call people to worship. Sunday school was established and held in the afternoons. In April 1957, a tornado destroyed the building but the pulpit furniture, piano, collection plates, pews, and songbooks were left intact. A new brick building was constructed that same year. An annex was completed in 1975, and social hall in 1978. Bethel was first on the Jacksonville Circuit, then was changed to the Rhine Circuit and, lastly, back to the Jacksonville Circuit.