Director of Communications - Global Ministries
Global Ministries connects The United Methodist Church, its people and congregations to partner with others engaged in God’s global work, which takes place in a variety of settings, countries and cultures. Global Ministries works through missionaries and partners in more than 60 countries around the world. Some of our key programs are in the areas of Disaster Response, Global Health, Hunger & Poverty, Water & Sanitation, Education, Migration, Racial & Ethnic Ministries, Creation Care and Mission, Evangelism & Church Growth.
The Director of Communications will set and guide comprehensive communications strategies that consistently and effectively articulate the vision and mission of Global Ministries and UMCOR. The Director leads a team of writers, editors, videographers, photographers, graphic designers, digital communicators, web designers and production personnel dedicated to developing content in a consistent organizational voice that deepens engagement with individuals, congregations, conferences and key partners. The Director oversees the implementation of initiatives while providing leadership, management, oversight and technical direction to other Global Ministries teams in collaboration with United Methodist Communications and external vendors supporting fund development efforts.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and manage Global Ministries’ communications strategy. Execute the strategy by employing all communication methods and resources to strengthen relationships with current and potential donors, partners and friends. Ensure positive and impactful results for the mission of Global Ministries.
- Manage comprehensive strategies and execute tactics to engage target audiences and strengthen key brands to ensure promotion is of the highest quality, relevant and timely.
- Write, edit, or respond to communications requests, such as press releases, statements, talking points, scripts, and reports as requested by the General Secretary and other leaders, promotional materials for units and solicitation and stewardship materials for the fund development program.
- Partner with United Methodist Communications to promote missionaries, Advance projects and programs of the Agency through a variety of media channels.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Develop and execute the strategic vision for Agency communications
- Cultivate positive relationships with Global Ministries staff and external partners to stay abreast of current accomplishments, new initiatives, grants, projects and potential stories.
- Form partnerships and collaborate with other United Methodist general agencies, conference communicators, and public relations and media consultants to distribute Global Ministries content to reach church and external audiences.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in communications, marketing, or public relations, theological education or related field preferred.
- Seven (7) to Ten (10) years of experience managing communications, public relations, marketing and/or other teams) and experience in same required.
- Experience working in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Proven experience managing effective, results-oriented teams.
Other Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to use appropriate management tools to ensure the effective running of programs and management of staff.
- Thorough understanding of The United Methodist Church.
- Demonstrated ability in news and feature writing.
Work Hours and Conditions
- FLSA Status: F/T Salaried Exempt
- Location: Remote
- Hours: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Monday – Friday with flexible start/end time) - Evening and weekend work/meetings as necessary.
- Travel as required
What We Offer and How To Apply
- Global Ministries offers a competitive benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, retirement plan, HSA/FSA, and other health and welfare benefits.
- Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, along with a digitally signed employment application through the applicant portal. Applications must highlight competencies against requirements, potential start date and at least three references (2 supervisory references and 1 professional reference).
- We are looking to fill the position as soon as possible, so don’t wait to apply! We will review applications as they are submitted.
Contact: Mia Higgins
458 Ponce de Leon Ave NE Atlanta GA 30127-6084
Email: Click to email