Youth Director - Lake Park UMC
Job Description for Youth Ministry Director
Lake Park United Methodist Church
Lake Park United Methodist Church of Lake Park, GA
Ministry Purpose: Your role is to develop and provide spiritual, relational, organizational, and administrative services, to oversee, and to work with the Youth Program at Lake Park United Methodist Church, which includes the weekly Sunday School Program for Youth, the weekly Wednesday night activities, and any special services, such as Christmas Programs, musicals, and other special events. The Youth Ministry director shall foster a strong education program through building relationships with teachers, parents, and church leaders that strengthen the students’ commitment to the church and growth in faith in Jesus Christ. To introduce, instruct, and nurture children and youth in their Christian faith and life, through Bible study, prayer, fellowship, worship, service, and evangelism.
Responsible to: Pastor for day-to-day operations, Staff Parish Relations Committee for fulfilling responsibilities defined in the job description, defining goals, evaluation and communication of concerns related to the performance of the position. Staff Parish Relations Committee every 6 months for evaluation.
- Implement Christian Education program for Youth using Safe Sanctuary principals and guidelines.
- Primarily lead the Youth in stimulating weekly programs.
- Coordinate, promote, implement, and further develop a quality Christian Education for Youth to include Sunday School, after-school and weeknight activities, seasonal and special events and Youth in the following areas: Youth Sunday School, Youth Church, Wednesday Night Activities, Seasonal/special events.
- Develop youth in their Christian spiritual and social development by instructing and training children and youth to understand and implement the Bible into their lives.
- Personally communicate educational program news frequently with the Pastor and the congregation.
- Develop and Youth Ministry strategic plan that supports the mission and vision of LPUMC.
- Participate in the preparation and development of the budget for the Youth ministry.
- Communicate and publish all activities through the newsletter, bulletins, church calendar, and social media as needed. Write weekly article in the newsletter highlighting the current and future activities of the Youth program.
- Actively recruit youth and young families through church supported activities and programs in the community.
- Responsible for ensuring that Youth are included in the life of the church.
- Participate with other Christian Ministry Professionals in the community as opportunities arise that will fit within the church’s purpose and ministry vision.
- Encourage and coordinate outreach opportunities and summer programs for Youth as appropriate.
The Youth Ministry Director plays a major role in the faith and development of all ages within the church, both as a leader and as an example. LPUMC seeks a person who has a solid understanding of the foundations of the Christian faith, who has a strong desire to nurture youth in the Christian faith. The person will be familiar with or willing to learn the United Methodist doctrines/discipline. We seek a person who generates new ideas and programs, who also values the team concept of ministry, and accepts suggestions from the Children’s Ministry Director and other church program leaders.
- Spiritual maturity and high moral and ethical conduct.
- A sense of call and a passion for working with youth and team members – the ability to inspire!
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and flexible team approach while working with youth, parents, and staff members.
- Good organizational, teaching, administrative, and computer/technology skills.
- An understanding of child and adolescent development and skill level.
- Ability to be able to relate to Youth and be able to teach them about Christ.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Vital relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Ability to recruit, train, motivate, and organize volunteers for Youth ministries.
- Desire to encourage multi-generational fellowship.
- Spiritual gifts including but not limited to leadership, administration, and teaching.
- A teachable servant’s heart; team builder and team player.
- Shares the vision, philosophy of ministry, and commitments of Lake Park United Methodist Church.
- Be in relationship with Youth and their families. Seek out and meet with youth and children, sharing their joys and concerns, and challenging their spiritual growth. Minister to their needs and make appropriate referrals when necessary.
The Youth Ministry Director requires flexible hours: up to 15 hours a week on location in the church, and up to 15 hours per week via tech (i.e. Zoom, updating social media, working on program needs from home), including evenings and weekends. It is recognized that the schedule will vary at different times of the year. It is expected that the Youth Director will work on Sundays, and Wednesday evenings as well as other specific times as outlined by the Pastor and PPR Chair.
It is expected that the chosen candidate will:
Terms of employment:
- Keep the Pastor and church office informed as to how he/she may be contacted.
- Notify the Children’s Director, Pastor, and church office as to any unforeseen absence from regularly scheduled hours, events, or duties, and provide a suitable substitute in case of anticipated absence.
- Adhere to hours and schedule discussed and agreed upon with the Pastor and PPR Chair.
- Seek approval for continuing education by PPR and Pastor.
- Participate in opportunities for periodic review and goal setting.
- Participate in pay level review, annually, and job review, semiannually.
- Contact the PPR Chair, or Staff Parish Committee with any concerns that should arise.
- Willing to potentially upgrade driver’s license to accommodate church’s provided mode of transportation to transport Youth to/from church and events.
A criminal background check will be required.
References – professional and personal.
Valid Driver’s License.
Salary commiserate with experience.
Probationary period shall be 90 days.
Send letter of interest and resume to:
LPUMC – Youth Director Search
Attn: PPR Chair
Lake Park UMC
PO Box 130,
Lake Park, GA 31636
with the subject heading:
LPUMC – Youth Director Search
No Phone Calls!