Mission Today Unit
To become a Mission Today Unit, the unit must meet eight of the following criteria, including four of those marked with an asterisk (*).
- Use the Prayer Calendar at each general meeting to pray for mission workers and projects.*
- The unit will make and meet its Pledge to Mission.*
- The unit will add at least two members to its roll.*
- The unit will have at least two members subscribe to Response magazine.*
- The unit will use two programs from the Program Book for United Methodist Women each year.
- The unit or circle will conduct at least one mission study a year.*
- The unit will implement the Charter fro Racial Justice Policies in at lease one way during the year.* Some suggested plans of action:
--Plan a joint unit meeting with a unit of a different racial ethnic background, using programs from the Program Book.
--Develop bi-racial/cultural or multi-racial/cultural Koinonia groups.
--Hold a joint Vacation Bible School.
--Hold pulpit exchanges.
--Share joint worship services on special occasions.
--Encourage the church to sponsor a refugee family.
- At least one member of the unit (other than a conference or district officer) will attend the Conference School of Mission.
- At least two members (other than a conference or district officer) will attend the district or conference annual meeting.
- The unit will have at least one person join the United Methodist Women’s Action Network to receive and respond to legislative information.
- Members will write to five persons listed in the Prayer Calendar each year.
- The unit will participate in the Campaign for children in at least two ways. Possibilities for action:
Help sponsor a church or community program related to children and youth needs.
Sponsor a Children’s Sabbath, promoted by the Children’s Defense Fund.
Get involved with children in mentoring, tutoring and “big sisters” program.
Write letters, e-mail, or call congressional representatives and/or others in government regarding children’s issues.
- The unit will be a Five Star unit, contributing to all five channels of Mission Giving.
- Each unit or circle will include a Response moment where an item from the magazine will be lifted up as a way to tell the mission story.
- Have at least two people from the unit, circle or subgroup complete one of the Reading Program Plans and report on one of the books read; encourage all members to complete Plan One; have a book review program.
- The unit will invite a district or conference officer, other than that of a member of the unit, to one of the unit meetings during the year.
- Make a pledge to care for God’s creation and become a “Green” United Methodist Women unit (Get information on How to become a Green Unit at http://www.umwonline.org/enviroment or contact Women’s Division Office of Community Action.
- Hold. A Mini – Spiritual Growth Retreat; prepare for the retreat by watching the video “Resurrection Road” and get the accompany study guide. “Resurrection Women.” For additional information contact the Women’s Division Office of Spiritual Formation and Mission Theology.