A word from Bishop King: prayers for the people of Nepal
Hello, beautiful people of South Georgia.
Following the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Nepal on April 25 and claimed more than 7,000 lives and left thousands more injured, I know that you, the Beautiful People of South Georgia, join me in extending prayers and heartfelt sympathy to the victims of the earthquake and their families.
We pray for the search and rescue operations being undertaken and the longer-term relief and mission work that will be needed in the coming weeks, months, and even years.
We pray for divine cooperation between government agencies, churches, and relief agencies, including our own United Methodist Committee on Relief, in providing humanitarian aid.
We pray for the Methodist-Wesleyan family of Churches in Nepal and surrounding nations to continue their mission and purpose amidst these difficult circumstances.
We pray for God to move hearts in our own area of the world to extend generous financial assistance in support of these efforts.
We pray that God will enable the people called “Methodists” to be engaged and to fulfill in visible ways John Wesley’s call to action: “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”
Finally, we pray that all that is done will help the people in the affected areas know the loving and healing presence of the living Christ through the Body of Christ.
James R. King, Jr.
How You Can Help
The UMCOR website continues to be updated as details of the United Methodist Church's response are worked out. In the meantime, this is some information we can share and that can guide you in any questions you receive:
- We continue to be in prayer.
- Contact has confirmed that all of our United Methodist missionaries and their families are safe.
- UMCOR is preparing a response, working through local and international partners.
- Donations to support the response to the earthquake in Nepal and other international disasters can be made through UMCOR Advance #982450.
- Checks can be made out to your local UMC and write UMCOR Advance #982450 in the memo and put in the offering plate or gifts can be made online here.