Annual Conference daily recap - Friday, June 5
The morning began with a teaching moment led by Dr. Christine Pohl, who reminded us that every community is held together by the promises we make to one another. "Speaking truth in love means speaking of the goodness and grace we see," said Dr. Pohl.
In the Business Session Friday morning, the conference:
- heard the results of the vote on the resolution from the Church Council of Asbury Memorial UMC in Savannah (page 156 in the Book of Recommendations). The resolution was denied.
- discussed and voted on a resolution from Trinity UMC in Savannah (page 158 in the Book of Recommendations). The resolution was denied.
- heard a John Wesley moment in which Rev. Dave Hanson reminded us of Wesley’s encouragement to “never, never, never allow anything to keep us from our priority of sharing God’s Word.”
- approved a motion that “the churches of the South Georgia Conference emphasize faithfulness in marriage in 2017; that the Nurture Committee provide guidance and materials to assist pastors and church leaders in promoting marital fidelity in 2017; that District Laity Ministries provide leadership within the district and assist churches in promoting marital fidelity in 2017; and that groups holding conference-wide events be urged to add faithfulness in marriage to the topics they cover during 2017 and beyond.”
- heard the Board of Ordained Ministry report given by Rev. Jimmy Towson, chair.
- recognized those clergy who faithfully serve beyond the local church in an extension ministry appointment.
- received the clergy who have been elected into provisional membership and the clergy for reception into full conference membership. Bishop King asked the clergy the historic questions asked of clergy since the days of John Wesley. The conference welcomed these clergy into their new relationship.
Elders - Jonathan Lee Brown & Theodore Adriel Goshorn
Deacons - Margaret Grace Guyton, Alaina Avera Harrison & Devon Goddard Smyth
Full Conference Member:
Elders - Thomas Patrick Dent, G. Anthony McPhail, Jr., & Lee Edward Pettis
Deacons - William George Culpepper & Fran M. Magoni
- heard about the creation of The Young Clergy Academy and its Intern Program, sponsored by the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church and the St. Marys United Methodist Church Foundation, for those interested in exploring a call to ordained ministry in the South Georgia Annual Conference.
- approved a 2016 budget of $10,406,501.
- celebrated with those pastors who have served fifty years in the ministry:
Dr. Ralph Bailey
Rev. James E. Duke
Dr. William W. Oliver
Rev. Charles L. Ricks
Rev. Charles M. Smith
Dr. J. Dan Williamson
- honored those pastors retiring this year:
Rev. Charles Adams
Rev. Cynthia Hooks Autry
Rev. Randy Carnley
Rev. Mary W. Danner
Rev. Jan Fulcher Durham
Rev. Joe Flowers
Rev. Betty Jo Funk
Rev. Nicholas Hazelton
Rev. Joseph Wesley Jones, Jr.
Rev. Wallace Whitsett Kirkland
Rev. Wayne MacDonald
Rev. John Thomas Maddox
Rev. F. Thomas Mason
Rev. Hubert Guy Mathis
Rev. Alan Miller
Rev. William Wiley Oliver, Jr.
Rev. Allison Rowland Rhodes
Rev. David Cordle Seyle
Rev. Thomas Luther Teate
Rev. Marion Ronnie Wills
Rev. Ronald Womack
Rev. Ray F. Youngblood
Laity Breakout Sessions – 2:00 p.m.
As the clergy elections were taking place, laity had the opportunity to attend various workshops focusing on the ways “We’re Better Together” in Mission & Ministry:
1 - Better Together in Missions: Mission Advocates from the General Board of Global Ministries, Jim & Bernice Keech, shared the connection and resources to Global Ministries, From Everywhere to Everywhere.
2 - Better Together in Advocacy: Suzanne Powell from Perry, GA presented Social Action Awareness: Human Trafficking. This workshop was sponsored by the South Georgia Conference United Methodist Women.
3 - Better Together in Small Groups: Staff from The Chapel UMC in Brunswick, GA presented the keys to successful small group ministries, an important component for nurture ministries in the local church.
Clergy Voting for General and Jurisdictional Conference – 2:00 p.m.
The following clergy were elected as delegates: