John Wesley’s Christmas activity
JOHN WESLEY MOMENTS
On Christmas Day, 1738, just a few months after his Aldersgate Experience when he felt his heart strangely warmed and he trusted Christ and Christ alone for his salvation, John Wesley sat down to write his rules for groups who want to grow in grace together.
These rules were designed to help groups who wanted to help members become more Christ-like. It was important that all members covenant together to keep these conversation in strictest confidence.
- Meet each week and start on time.
- Begin with singing and prayer.
- Go around the room and have each person speak freely and plainly.
- Tell each other your sins in thought, word, and deed.
- Have prayer suited to each person.
- Answer these questions:
- Have you forgiveness for your sins?
- Have you peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ?
- Have you the witness of the Holy Spirit that you are a child of God?
- Is the love of God shed abroad in your heart?
- Has no sin dominion over you?
- Do you desire to be told of your faults?
- Do you desire that we tell you what we think of you, fear, and hear about you?