Susanna Wesley’s Rules for Raising Godly Children
JOHN WESLEY MOMENTS
Susanna Wesley’s Rules for Raising Godly Children:
- Eating between meals not allowed.
- Take medicine without complaining.
- Obey parents (break their self-will). How will they ever obey God if they do not obey their parents?
- Teach them to pray as soon as they can speak.
- Require all to be still during Family Worship.
- Teach them to cry softly so as not to disturb others.
- Give them nothing that they cry for.
- To prevent lying, punish no fault which is first confessed and repented of.
- Never allow a sinful act to go unpunished.
- Never punish a child twice for a single offense.
- Comment and reward good behavior.
- Any attempt to please, even if poorly performed, should be commended.
- Preserve property rights, even in smallest matters.
- Strictly keep all promised.
- Teach children to fear the rod.