#ServeSouthGA is our Annual Conference's volunteer day, set aside for churches all over South Georgia to move outside the church building and into our communities. An event for all ages, #ServeSouthGA Day allows us to put our faith in action as we serve those in need in our very own town, neighborhood, and community. One Saturday each year, we set aside our personal agendas and head out into the community on a mission to serve others. It is truly a great day of sharing our time and talents with the charitable agencies the South Georgia Conference and your local church supports.
How to Organize
1. Identify a #ServeSouthGA Day Coordinator in your local church.
2. Pick your projects. For help in determining how to serve, see below. Make sure opportunities are available for families, singles and children to all be involved. Reach out to other local churches or cluster groups to partner up.
3. Appoint Project Captains.
4. Publicize to your Congregation: announcements, website, bulletin insert, social media, registration. See Media Kit below for promotional graphics. Contact local media - they love a "helping the community" story!
5. Order t-shirts (if desired). For online design, use the provided #ServeSouthGA image (see below) at Custom Ink (one example), choosing your own colors and adding your church name to personalize.
6. Serve your community on March 23rd (or your appointed day!).
7. Don’t forget to tell us about it! Be sure to tag photos across all social media #ServeSouthGA (before May 15).
Volunteer Opportunities & Project Ideas
- Local Examples of Opportunities (subject to location)
- Writing letters (prisoners, military, widows, etc)
- Schools (projects, landscaping, clean outs, etc)
- Homeless shelters
- Soup Kitchen
- Make a meal
- Pack meals
- Nursing home (visits, programs, improvement projects)
- Organize food, clothing or other donations at local organizations
- Blood drive
- Visit the homebound
- Cleaning gutters
- Interior/Exterior Painting
- Home Repair/Maintenance
- Thrift store sorting
- Technology Roundup (teens teaching older generation how to better understand their phone, iPad, social media, etc)
- Makerspace (sewing, art projects, etc to meet a local need)
- Trash cleanup
- Kids programs
- Keep an ear to the ground and listen for who could use an extra hand in their life. Then, reach out!
- Conference-Supported Ministries
- Andrew College in Cuthbert
- Magnolia Manor (8 locations)
- Methodist Home for Children and Youth (6 locations)
- Open Door Community House in Columbus
- Vashti Children's Home in Thomasville
- Wesley Community Center in Savannah
- Wesley Foundations (8 locations in South GA)
- Wesley Glen in Macon
- Wesleyan College
Download different graphics for promotional use from this dropbox folder.
What if we've already done this?
Fantastic! The important part is not the date, but that you’re serving your community. We would love to hear about it. Go back and tag your photos on social media with #ServeSouthGA and your photos will be a part of ALL the local congregations serving throughout South Georgia. Also see form below.
Share with us!
Please fill out the short form below so we can share the good news of how the CHURCH is alive together in the world, specifically in your community!